YABBA is all about getting children’s view on their favourite books. So the entire YABBA program begins with Victoria children recommending their favourite books so others can read them. This is how we compile the shortlist each year.
Nominations close in March each year.
The books children recommend as their favourites will be collated with those from other schools and libraries from across Victoria, New South Wales, Northern Territory and the Australian Capital Territory. The ten most popular books in each section will appear on the short list for that year.
YABBA encourages you to collect the maximum number of nominations possible, in any or all of the sections. Don’t worry if you are unsure if a title fits into a particular section, simply record the information in the section that seems most appropriate and we’ll work it out.
- Picture Story Book
- Fiction for Younger Readers
- Fiction for Older Readers
- Fiction for Years 7 – 9
The YABBA short list is compiled and distributed to schools and public libraries, in term 2.
- Any child from Grade Prep to Year 9 may nominate up to 4 books.
- Books nominated must be the child’s free choice
- Books eligible for nomination must meet these criteria
- An Australian children’s fiction book
- First published in the last 10 years
- Not be a previous YABBA Winner
You can nominate using either of these methods